Wewelsburg Castle in Westphalia, Germany, is a
site of significant historical and magical interest. Its historical significance
lies in the fact that it was chosen by Reichsfuhrer-SS Heinrich
Himmler to be the centre of his Order of the SS and an ideological training
centre for SS officers. Its magical interest is that Himmler
ordered the construction of
two magical chambers on the north
tower of Wewelsburg in which he intended to
perform his own magical ceremonies.
Unfortunately, there is no English language book on
at this time. There are two German
which deal significantly with Wewelsburg: the
first, “Wewelsburg 1933 –
1945: SS Kult–und
Prof Dr Karl Huser. The sccond, “Heinrich Himmler‘s
Burg, Das Weltanschauliche Zentrum der SS, Bildchronik der SS –
Schule Haus Wewelsburg 1934–1945″ by
Stuart Russell and Jost W Schneider.
At the present time the
author Stuart Russell
is working on a definitive study of Wewelsburg which will the first
and Long-awaited English language book dealing
with Wewelsburg during the
Third Reich. This writer has visited
Wewelsburg on two separate occasions
and carried out his own Magical Working in
the “Walhalla” and
met with the author Stuart Russell. This
brief article is intended to shed some light on the mysterious
castle and share some of its secrets
withthose who are not fluent
in German until such times as Russell’s book
“Himmler’s Castle” is available.*
Wewelsburg takes its
name from the robber knight Wewel von Buren.
It was built between 1604
and 1607 on the
ruins of a much
older Saxon stronghold. It served as a
secondary residence for
the Prince Bishop of Paderborn, Theodor von Furstenberg, before eventually
coming under the
control of the county of Buren. A
Latin inscription above the main gate reads: “Many
would like to enter but they never will.“
Himmler first visited to castle on November 3, 1933 and was
immediately impressed by the triangular structure. He
was searching for
a suitable castle in Westphalia in which he could establish an SS leadership school. Himmler’s
attention had been drawn to
the Wewelsburg by Karl-Maria Wiligut/Weisthor, an ex-Austrian colonel and
researcher of prehistoric and Germanic matters.
The SS Castle
Wiligut had joined the SS in 1933 and
rose to the rank of Brigadefuhrer by 1936.
He had told Himmler of an
old prophecy which said that “a
gigantic storm would appear out of the east tooverwhelm the German peoples if not confronted and turned back in the region ofWestphalia.” 0n July
27, 1934 the Nazi Party leased the castle
from the county of Buren for
the symbolic sum of one Reichsmark
per year. Himmler appointed the architect Hermann Bartels
to reconstruct and
expand the castle.
The reconstruction cost 13 million
marks, and prisoners from the nearby concentration camp KZ Neiderhagen worked on it.
Bartels was commissioned to draw up ever larger plans for
would have taken 20
years to complete
and would have cost the sum of 250 million marks.
Construction began with the creation of
an SS Guardhouse and Barracks and an SS sentry box. The planned expansion of
the castle would have swallowed up the whole of the village of Wewelsburg and
the SS planned to relocate villagers in a new model town nearby.
The mighty north tower of the Wewelsburg
was torn down and rebuilt to include the marble floored
“Gruppenfuhrersaal” or Hall of Pillars.
There were 12 pillars in this room as well as 12 radiators and 12 niches. The black design on the marble floor had 12 rays coming forth in the form of reversed Sig runes. An April 1945 photo shows the pillars in the hall having been whitewashed under which were paintings of humanoid figures. It was possible that these paintings were of German heroes of times past The old cellars of the north tower became the “Gruft” Crypt or “Walhalla”, Hall of Dead Heroes. This area also used the number 12, as there were 12 stone pedestals around the walls of the circular dome-shaped room. Construction work ceased in 1944, having been only temporarily stopped by the outbreak of the War. Plans for the SS City continued to be drawn up however until 1945.
Architectural drawings by Bartels show
the Wewelsburg complex project in the form of spear with the north tower of
Wewelsburg itself as the tip and head of this spear. Both the “Gruppenfuhrersaal”
and the “Walhalla” were constructed for special ceremonies and there are
indications that either Himmler or Hitler were to be buried there. As the
construction proceeded a schoolhouse was set up. By 1938 a library of 16,000
books had been accumulated together with an early photocopying machine and
There was also a museum housed in one of
the wings of the castle and a staff of archaeologists. Ahnenerbe (Ancestral
Heritage) staff were posted at Wewelsburg who worked alongside the scholastic
staff. Prof Dr Walter Rust, curator of the Ahnenerbe was appointed as
Scholastic Staff Supervisor in 1938. They studied and carried out excavations
at the nearby “Externsteine” stones in the Teutoburger Wald (Forest).
These were Germanic holy relics and possibly the location of the famous Pagan
“Irminsul”, the sacred relic of the Saxons which was destroyed by
Centre of the World
The Wewelsburg was to become the ideological school where SS officers were ideologically and spiritually trained. It was envisaged by Himmler as the “Mittelpunkt der Welt”, the Centre of the World, and indeed this centre-point was the centre of the “Black Sun” design on the marbled floor of the “Gruppenfuhrersaal”.
Originally a gold disk was set in the middle of the design but was looted at the end of the war. Looking closely at the design one can see a slight depression in this “Black Sun” where the gold disk once rested! Directly underneath this design is the swastika in the roof of the “Walhalla”.
Himmler visited the castle 40 times
between February 1936 and December 1937. Many high rankingNazi officials visited the castle including the
Deputy Fuhrer Hess in March 1936. In a speech in Munich on 8 January, 1938
Himmler stated that “Future initiation ceremonies forthe
Gruppenfuhrer including those who have not as yet been sworn in, will be
conducted atWewelsburg.” At a Gruppenfuhrer conference at
Wewelsburg between 11-15 June, 1941, Himmler revealed to his SS Officers the
plans for the invasion of the USSR. As the fortunes of the war turned against
the Third Reich the role of Wewelsburg became less important and staff were
transferred to combat posts. In 1944 it was given a coat of camouflage paint,
and fearing the castle would be bombed by Allied forces, Himmler had his vast
collection of art treasures and weaponry moved to a country estate. On 30 March
1945 the castle garrison was evacuated and they took many files with them to
the Sennelager army base at Paderborn.
Himmler personally instructed
SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Heinz Macher to destroy the Wewelsburg Castle to prevent it
falling intact into the hands of the advancing US. 3rd Armoured
Division. On 31 March 1945, Macher and his squad of demolition troops arrived in
the village, setting fire to the castle and firing anti-tank rockets at the
burning building. Macher did not have enough explosives to totally destroy the
formidable structure and both the “Walhalla” and
“Gruppenfuhrersaal” were spared and still stand today as in 1945.
American forces arrived at Wewe!sburg on
2 April 1945. Captain Theodore M Black of CIC (Counter Intelligence Corps)
inspected the ruins and found, and kept, a cigar box full of 200 SS Totenkopf Rings,
an SS Banner and an SS typewriter with an SS rune key. He distributed many of
the rings back in the USA to men of his unit. The rings which were awarded by Himmler
to SS Officers had to be returned to Wewelsburg on the death of wearer. Despite
this fact, rumours of buried treasure in the surrounding area of Wewelsburg
persist. Many other myths surrounding the Wewelsburg persist, today fostered by
books dealing with the hidden “occult” sciences of the Third Reich.
One of the principle myths is that there
was a large round oak table in the Gruppenfuhrersaal around which Himmler and
12 of his Obergruppenfuhrers sat on leather high-back chairs like King Arthur
and his Knights of the Round Table. Not so. The leather chairs do exist, but
the round table never was. The table was long and rectangular and situated in
the South wing of the castle, not in the “Gruppenfuhrersaal”.*
Today the Wewelsburg has been happily restored and houses a Youth Hostel and the County museum. The former SS Guardhouse now houses a museum of artefacts and documentation from the time of the SS occupation of Wewelsburg.
By Antony Parkin
This article appeared in “The Flaming Sword”, No 1
* Note of the editor: The book referred to in this article is “Heinrich Himmler’s Camelot” (2000). Another work that documents the castle is the exhibition guide: “Endtime Warriors: Ideology and Terror of the SS” (2015).
* Note of the editor: Nothing contradict the possibility of a round table placed inside the “Gruppenfuhrersaal” nor the possibility that the leaders would sit in a circle consisting of 12 chairs. It is very plausible.